Subject: Re: Collision Detection
From: "Dimitri Holman" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 12:47:48 -0800

3/26/96            2:53 PM

Ernie wrote:

>>IOW, you cheat.  I say that with a ;-), but there is at least a little
<SNIP>

Bingo!! In DIS VIS-SIM thats EXACTLY what we do. I think the mantra goes "If
it looks good, do it!". We leave the accuracy stuff up to the "SAF" data
collection & analysis guys. But we do some sim based design work that doesn't
have multiple versions of the same database and we are VERY accurate in our
collision detection.

>>I'd agree that it isn't too hard to do low fidelity surface interaction.
>>But I don't think animators would be satisfied with the results in most
>>cases, and the climb up the quality slope is quite steep.

Agreed. All I'm suggesting is that if "Low-Res" detection can be done in real
time and "higher-res" in near real-time a 3D app like LW probably has a few
cycles available for "good" detection. I believe there are a few  animation
apps that DO collision detection. I personally would take a couple minutes of
rendering time increase ( over the course of all frames ) for such capability.
Some might not. I'm in this for the fun though and my paycheck isn't
influenced by rendering times.. ;+)

P.S. Ernie, If you don't mind me asking how are you involved with DIS? And are
you goung to the Environmental Representations Technical Working Group
conference?

dimitri